SQUARE BUTTE RANCH
*FOOTHILLS COUNTRY ESCAPE
Square Butte Ranch is a private recreational ranch community consisting of 480 acres of paradise in the Rocky Mountain foothills. It is complete with access into Kananakis Country yet is only a 45 minute drive southwest of Calgary. Blending into the surroundings Square Butte offers an Old West ambience and is a community that works and plays together in a unique ranch setting offering unrivalled country and luxury.
Thanks to the combination of mixed forest and meadows and the undisturbed habitat of Kananaskis Country, homeowners at Square Butte enjoy abundant wildlife, including elk, moose, deer, black bear, lynx, cougar, beaver and coyotes. The ranch is also shared with hawks, great grey owls, Canada geese, blue jays, herons, whiskey-jacks, bluebirds and more.
The facilities at Square Butte Ranch are perfect for individual as well as group activities. Owners may feel free to wander down to the Saloon to watch a hockey or football game on the big screen or rent the facility for a get together. The saloon is equipped with a games area, commercial kitchen, bar, and is also the venue for may of the ranch events such as the annual Stampede Party, Lobster Fest, Pig Roast, happy hours, or pot luck dinners. There is a community garden planted with a variety of herbs and vegetables as well as a fire pit that has become known for many marshmallow roastings and story-telling sessions.
The barn is the starting point for horse activities as it holds 2 tack rooms and indoor and outdoor space to tie horses while they are being saddled. The loft of the barn is home to both the ranch office and a well-equipped gym that is available for owners.
There are endless riding opportunities for the equestrian enthusiasts, the ranch has a combination of owner horses and access to great horses for all levels of riders from our managed horse program provider, Moose Mountain. There is access to 500,000 acres of trails to ride and enjoy, you'll seldom ride the same trail twice.
Owners can board their horses knowing that they are inspected, watered, fed, and the pasture rotated by full time experienced wranglers on a daily basis. Without owning a horse you can still enjoy grooming, trail rides, lessons, and clinics with several experienced horses for owners and tenants of all levels to book at their convenience.
In addition to the riding trails, the area provides a range of activities and adventures for the the family to enjoy. A few of these outdoor activities include:
- Exploring Nature. Offered in abundance are hiking, bird watching, wild flower walks, star gazing, orienteering with a compass, casting animal tracks, and more.
- Mountain Biking. With the proximity of Mesa Butte Mountain, Curley Sand Ridge, Hog's Back, and Threepoint Creek, you'll never run out of interesting terrain to explore.
- Fishing. Square Butte offers access to terrific fishing for a variety of rainbox, brown brook, cutthroat, bull, and lake trout right in your backyard.
- ATV, Motor Biking, & Snowmobiling. There is direct off-road access via the west pasture providing enthusiasts an opportunity to explore more than 200 square km in the McLean Creek Off Highway Vehicle Public Land Use Zone.
- Ice skating. As the temperatures drop and the weather permits the pond is cleared for some good old fashion Canadian pond hockey complete with benches and fire pits to warm up around.
- Snowshoeing & Cross-country skiing. Trails are cleared throughout the common property of the ranch.
*click any image for full gallery